Unemployment rate for people with disabilities increased significantly in 2020 due to difficult economic situation in Germany. Many people ask themselves how they can successfully re-enter working life despite their disabilities.
However, there are many options and interventions that can assist with vocational reintegration. Starting with the right preparation for the job interview, to targeted further training offers, to financial assistance and support in finding a job. The most important thing is a positive attitude and willingness to face new challenges.
In this article, we present tips and advice to help you successfully get back into the workforce. We will show you what assistance is available, how to best prepare for job interviews, and how to present your personal strengths and skills in a targeted manner.
Read our article to learn what you can do to succeed on the job even with a disability.
Causes of the rise in unemployment among people with disabilities
The number of unemployed people with disabilities has increased in recent years. There are several reasons related to this increase. First, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the labor market is being felt. Many companies have laid off employees in order to survive. People with disabilities were often particularly affected by these layoffs.
Another cause is the difficulty of finding a job that meets the needs and abilities of people with disabilities. Many companies are unsure how to deal with these workers. You may fear higher costs due to workplace adjustments or specialized training. However, it should be noted here that people with disabilities are often very loyal, highly motivated and have exceptional skills.
The education system also contributes to the rising number of unemployed people with disabilities. Often, people with disabilities have less access to education and thus cannot gain the same skills as their non-disabled peers. This makes it even more difficult for them to enter the labor market.
- Too few accessible workplaces
- Accessibility and inclusion often not sufficiently considered or implemented
- Prejudices against people with disabilities
Tips for successful re-entry into the workforce for unemployed people with disabilities
Re-entering the workforce can be challenging, especially for people with disabilities. However, there are ways to successfully enter the workforce. Here are some tips that can help you:
- Set realistic goals: It’s important to set realistic goals and not overextend yourself. Start slow and gradually increase your pace.
- Take advantage of technology: using technology can make work easier for people with disabilities. There are many tech tools that can help you do your job more effectively.
- Look for suitable job opportunities: A targeted search for suitable job opportunities will help you find work that matches your skills and interests.
- Be flexible: You may not be able to find a job that is exactly what you want. In this case, be flexible and open to other job opportunities as well.
Take your time looking for a job, remembering that it usually takes some time to find a job that fits your skills and needs. It’s important to persevere and stay active to achieve your goal.